Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 122 An Earthquake, A Tsunami and A Road Race




In the wake of the 8.8 Chilean earthquake and just before  the ensuing tsunami in Hawaii, this morning I ran my first road race in 20 years. A 5K benefit held at the retirement community of Quail Creek for the Green Valley Food Bank and the Animal Rescue League, it was exceptionally well organized.   The new Fivefingers shoes; after  three weeks’ breaking-in time, let me run a little farther forward than normal, which may have given me some sort of “sprinters’ push.”  What I mostly felt was that my 10 toes were helping with the effort, a fine sense of solidarity there!

Although my time wasn’t exceptional—39:35—it put me first in my 70-74 age group.  I was humbled,  however, by a trim woman who ran ahead of me  during the whole race, enabling me to use her and her friend as pacers.  Afterwards, she allowed to being 79 years old!  I can only be happy that she’ll graduate to the 80-84-year-old group next year when I move up to the 75-79 group, so we won’t be in direct competition!

Another satisfying part of today’s run was having my blood pressure checked right afterwards; it was 124/81.  A couple of weeks ago, at the doctor’s office where I went to get authorization to take a DEXA test for bone density,  the top part was at least 20 points higher, because I was late and bothered by that.   Those numbers illustrate the danger of accepting blood pressure as a fixed, unchanging measurement, and also point out the benefits of serenity!

Speaking of the DEXA test, I’m doing a six-months experiment to find out whether taking 360 mg. of calcium and 800 IU of Vitamin D3 twice daily (for a total of 720 mg. of calcium and 1600 IU of D3),  at a different time than 2230 mg. of strontium citrate,  will increase my bone density.   Hence the DEXA test, which initially showed some bone deterioration. 

The Vancouver, B.C.  company which produces the calcium and strontium, AlgaeCal, Inc., is so confident of their products' effiiency that they offer your money back if there is no positive change within the six-month period.  Sounds like a winning gamble to me!

Back to the Chilean earthquake and pending Hawaii tsunami,  I’m sort of numb.  Will this be as heart-breaking as the Haitian disaster?  The Red Cross must have  a huge extra need of funds, so giving there will likely be my response.  Perhaps the Boston Marathon might enlist its runners to make the effort for Chilean relief?  I’d thought of organizing a  run this summer, to benefit either our cash-strapped Orcas Historical Museum or a group that provides frail seniors with travel to doctors’ appointments; would Chile be a better target for that energy?

No comments:

Post a Comment