Sunday, January 10, 2010

DAY 72, THIS ALKALINE YEAR Tools of the Trade




One problem of being a snowbird is that my favorite tools are sometimes in the other house.  This is particularly true this winter; our Northwest leave-taking was stressful as my husband had suffered a fall so I needed to pack for two of us.   What I miss the most is my beloved Vita-Mixer.  Here in Arizona I have a blender that doesn’t do the job well.  Tonight, for instance, I made garlicky cauliflower, which is supposed to have the consistency of mashed potatoes.  The blender purees reluctantly.   To make it grind up the steamed cauliflower, I needed to add so much vegetable broth  that the dish tasted like watery mashed potatoes.


Next to the top on my tools list is a knife with a heavy blade that will smoosh garlic cloves easily.  It, too, is sitting in my Northwest kitchen.  I also discovered while eating the cauliflower tonight that I’d used way too much garlic.  Half a clove of elephant garlic is plenty to flavor enough cauliflower to feed two adults; had used a whole clove and can still taste it an hour afterwards!

On the whole, however, today has been very good.  I spent half an hour on the rowing machine at our neighborhood athletic center, and later jogged two miles with Binka.   My athletic aspirations took a great leap when I found that our town has Senior Games in March.  I immediately signed up for a 5 K footrace, for which I may have an advantage in that it’s a much shorter distance than the five or six miles  I customarily cover, but a disadvantage in that I’ll be at the top of my age group (70-74).


No comments:

Post a Comment