Thursday, October 15, 2009

DAY EIGHTEEN ALKALINE YEAR APPLE SEASON


DAY EIGHTEEN ALKALINE YEAR

APPLE SEASON

October 15, 2009  The abundance of apples this year is overwhelming!  My five trees, include a Roxbury Russet, at least two Cox’s Orange Pippin, with no records on the others.  The Russets aren’t quite ready yet, but the Pippins are huge and tasty, red, with some  red and yellow-green stripes.   Had one for breakfast--sliced so as to prolong the enjoyment—along with a half grapefruit and a handful of almonds.

In fact, the abundance of everything is amazing, in the middle of a world going through what some days seems like more than its share of misery.  Down in the village of Eastsound this morning, a man was selling “pinks,” salmon that normally come this way in October.  He’d caught them two days ago in the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and a 5.6-pound one, well iced, cost $15.  I did freeze it because it will not be used for a week, and then to feed dinner guests, stuffed with rice or quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah), tomatoes and dill, baked in orange juice.  At that meal, I’ll enjoy the stuffing and whatever salad makings  and veggies are available for side dishes.

For dinner tonight, I’ll feed the menfolk and myself a vegetable stew consisting of yams (baked, diced) and beets (boiled, quartered slices), steamed small crookneck squash, a sautéed diced leek, freshly-ground pepper, sea salt, herbs de Provence, and, as they seem to like it, the staple turmeric.   (If they want it, I have both turkey burgers and veggie burgers on hand.)  Maybe baked apples for dessert, holding the brown sugar on mine.

Another insight that amazed me today, is how simple everything has become!  No longer do I worry about how many calories anything contains, or which food group it belongs to, or whether people will think I’m nuts.  No conflicts over eating fresh-baked bread, tofu, quiche, or ice cream  (all highly acid-forming).  My jeans fit; I can tuck a shirt inside them, and my weight is staying right in there between 113 and 119; my scales give a five-pound range whenever I remember to use them.

Walking our dogs today with a friend, I realized that the gift of this year has not come out of the blue; for years, I’ve been making little nutritional changes that made this decision to eat alkaline so easy, as it has been.  If you’re already doing that, or plan to, I wish it has been or will be the same for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment