Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day ELEVEN ALKALINE YEAR: THE GOOD GOURMET

DAY ELEVEN  ALKALINE YEAR

THE GOOD GOURMET

OCTOBER 7, 2009    I react to  the news that Gourmet Magazine is folding with mixed feelings.  Certainly it has hosted some of the best food writing ever, and some of the most romantic.  M.F.K. Fisher’s The Pale Yellow Glove comes to mind, with its stirring opening: “Once at least in the life of every human, whether he be brute or trembling daffodil, come a moment of complete gastronomic satisfaction.”  Do alkaline eaters ever feel like this?  Right now, I think not, but I’m willing to be corrected.

On the other hand, the good Gourmet  may well have been responsible for God knows how many lives plagued by gout, atherosclerosis, diabetes, cancer, and premature deaths of spouses and friends.  All of these may stem from our acidic diet.  The magazine set the standards, and photographed them beautifully. 

Although editorial comment on its demise tended to blame it on the economy, I think it’s more likely to correlate with changing food tastes.  On the one hand, Americans are gorging on industrially-produced junk foods.  On the other, some excellence is emerging in healthier foods.  Today’s Los Angeles Times, for instance, has a mouth-watering vegan recipe for carmelized onions, using no sugar, with a long cooking time that demands much attention from the cook.   I don’t know if that will produce the “complete gastronomic satisfaction” of which Ms. Fisher wrote, but I look forward to trying it.  R.I.P., Gourmet.

Jack and I lunched with friends at the same restaurant where I’d had my last omnivore meal eleven days ago.  I enjoyed chatting with them about local matters while slowly eating a house salad, having asserted myself to ask for olive oil and a slice of lemon rather than the Roquefort dressing.  Haven’t had a headache since the day after starting this. My energy is good and I’m sleeping very well.  So far, soo-o good!

No comments:

Post a Comment