Thursday, November 5, 2009


DAY 39 ALKALINE YEAR Learning from Failures  & Successes

Today I flopped!  Lunch with Jack at our favorite restaurant and couldn’t resist three slices of a baguette, with butter, all very ACF*, along with a cup of very good squash soup.  The restaurant had cheese (ACF) in the soup, which made the lunch a total failure.   I enjoyed it, but wished the soup had been flavored with spices rather than cheese.

Why is it,  I wonder, that restaurants (and food writers) tend to think one “healthy” ingredient in a dish means that the whole mess is good for vegans and alakarians?  I’ve seen the most horrendous combinations of dairy, meat, carmelized sugar and a lone bit of vegetable on menus.  That said, the responsibility for choice still rests with me and I blew it.

On the other hand, an hour later while visiting friends, I had no trouble resisting the cookies, and the sense to ask for hot water when the other choices were caffeinated tea and coffee.  Tonight for dinner I made baked squash (medium AF), filled with lightly-boiled kale (high AF) with squash seeds sautéed in a little olive oil and a veggie burger for Jack.

Tomorrow is a retreat and a treat.  Six of us who use a therapeutic modality known as Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) are gathering for seven hours to work on individual and group intentions.   I’m taking the usual grapefruit, avocado, almonds and sunflower seeds, and a jug of alkaline water.

*ACF = acid-forming; AF = alkaline-forming

No comments:

Post a Comment