Friday, November 13, 2009

DAY 47 THIS ALKALINE YEAR Nutrition and Sleep




Picking up on the last part of yesterday’s discussion, where I expressed my belief that our food choices affect our mental health, my nutrition is, in my estimation, somewhere between “very good” and “excellent.”  If both statements are true, my mental health also should be exceptionally good.  In some ways, it is.  I tend to face problems and solve them.  One common problem that I’ve not been able to solve completely:  getting a good night’s sleep.  Could nutrition play a role in this?

Maybe. My barriers to sleep may also lie in the realm of time management.  I tend, nowadays, to relax in front of the computer at night, playing games such as Orbitz Stacker, reading friends’ emails and comments on Facebook, checking the news on several sources.  Another roadblock is late-evening eating.  I tend to nosh on almonds, celery, apples during the computer sessions.  What if my tummy is so busy processing the onslaught tht it won’t let me sleep?

There!  I’ve identified two important barriers to sleep.  For the next few days, I want to try an experiment, a sub-experiment, if you will, to this alkaline year.  For the next few days, I want to forego all computer usage after 8 PM, instead substituting a good read for the computer.  The nutritional part of the experiment involves two practices: 1) not eating or drinking anything after 8:15 PM except 2) consuming a glass of hot soda and water around then.

Some other initiatives that make for a good night’s sleep include soft music, such as Steven Halpern’s Sleep Soundly or Stella Benson’s solo harp music, all of which have worked for me at different times.  Joan Borysenko’s suggestion to use the bedroom only for sleeping and sex is good sense too. EFT works well oftentimes.   The fact that I sometimes—more often lately—have difficulty falling asleep means that some facet of my life remains unaddressed.  We’ll see if Nos. 1 and 2 above are good answers to the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment