Tuesday, November 10, 2009

DAY 44 THIS ALKALINE YEAR: Clothes Connect the Years

Today was a clothes-buying day, as two or three “events” are forming on the November and December calendars for which I’d like to look sparkly.  We have a chic establishment known as Aurora’s, which stocks gently-used clothing at very small prices.  I found a lined dress and jacket in a bronze, glittering fabric, a black overblouse flocked in velvet, and a silky orange shirt, altogether for less than $25.  I benefit, because of being slim, from the pithy saying, “This island moves on its stomach,” and its corollary, “Everybody comes here as a size 10 and leaves as a size 42”.

I have a deep, abiding attraction to clothes.  It started a few miles from where I now live, because a girl my age, Donna,  and her older sister lived nearby and they had a trunk of dress-up duds.  We spent countless hours adorning ourselves in old curtains, sheets, and dresses, which became ball gowns and ritzy working duds, for airline stewardesses,  journalists, and equestriennes.    I didn’t know it, but we were preparing for becoming grown-ups; clothes connect visions across the years.  My own children being boys, I missed out on the fun of helping daughters play this way, but I can’t wait until my grand-daughter is old enough to spend time “on her own” here with Grandma!

The Catholics served lunch at the Food Bank today and it looked like some fine casseroles and salads, home-made bread (they are A-1 in this department), and an enthusiastic audience.  When it was my turn for a break from putting Xs on labels so recipients wouldn’t take them back to the market to exchange, I sat down for a very good fruit salad and a bunch of grapes.

After a few other chores, I came home, sewed up a hole or two in the orange shirt (it was more than gently used, but I love the color),  nibbled a lot of almonds and celery,  prepared for a United Way board meeting on Thursday, and played a word game online.  When Jack comes home from Pepsi night with his son at the Lower Tavern, we’ll eat veggie stew from last night, in which I used quinoa for thickening, and tell each other stories about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment